Happy Memorial Day!
I know lots of people like cooking out today, and our family will be doing so with our parish priest this evening. Aside from ribs (BBQ and rub), we’ll be having burgers and hot dogs, with an option for chili, plus a side dish of Mac Daddy Salad in addition to the usual baked beans.
I thought I’d share the recipes I’ll be using for the chili and the macaroni salad. Both are at Tasty Kitchen, and there you can save them to your own recipe box or print them off. Don’t be scared off the macaroni salad by the ingredients. It’s a light side dish that’s got some nice flavor to it, and is a really nice change of pace from the typical mayo-only versions you usually get.
1 pound Lean Ground Beef
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Bell Pepper, Stem And Seeds Removed, Then Diced
1 Chipotle Pepper, Diced (canned)
1 bag Frozen Corn (12 To 16 Ounce Bag)
1 can Diced Green Chilis (4 Oz Can)
1 can Tomato Sauce (15 Oz Can)
1 can Diced Tomatoes (15 Oz. Can)
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar (heaping)
1 can Black Beans (15 Oz Can)
1 can Red Beans (15 Oz Can)
1 can Tomato Paste (4 Oz Can)
¼ teaspoons Pepper (white Or Black)
¾ teaspoons Kosher Salt, Or More To Taste
1 teaspoon Chili Powder (heaping, Or More To Taste)
1. Brown ground beef, chopped onions and bell pepper in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the beef is browned and the veggies are softened, move to the next step.
2. Add all of the other ingredients and stir.
3. Cover and let simmer over low heat for at least an hour, but longer if you want. The longer you let it simmer, the more the flavors will come out.
4. Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, more diced onions.
1 pound Elbow Macaroni
1 whole Onion, Large (Vidalia Makes This Very Mild), Diced
⅓ cups Green Pepper, Diced
1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon BBQ Sauce
½ Tablespoons Fat-free Catalina Salad Dressing
½ teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Paprkia
⅔ cups Fat Free Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt (more Or Less, To Taste)
1. Cook macaroni according to instructions on box, without adding salt or oils.
2. Combine all ingredients except the Lawry’s in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add the seasoned salt to taste, stirring well.
3. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Note: for a little variety, you could also add the following (which my father has done at one time or another): allspice, thyme, marjoram, or Tabasco.
Enjoy your day, and please remember to pray for the repose of the souls of those men and women who have given their lives for our country and freedom.