I have a variety of cookbooks, nearly all low-calorie or low-fat stuff. And I love writing out a menu plan so when the kids ask me, “What’s for dinner?” I can point to the calendar. (Yup. It’s on my iCal, which gets printed out weekly and synced on our iPod Touches and various computers.)
One recipe that’s a real favorite when the weather turns cold is Brown Sugar Chili, which I found in the Fix It & Forget It Lightly** cookbook. This cookbook has saved me from myself! We are constantly running from sports to dance to church that I very often need to either have something cooking in the crock or a bunch of leftovers ready to throw in the microwave.
So here, without further ado, is the recipe:
* 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
* 1 medium onion
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 Tbsp. mustard (bottled or prepared, not dry)
* 2 cans kidney beans (15 oz.)
* 1 pint low-sodium tomato juice or V-8
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/4 tsp. black pepper
* 1 tsp. chili powder
1. Brown the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and mustard.
2. Combine all ingredients in a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours.
As far as what kind of mustard to use, I’ve used yellow and honey mustards, depending on my mood and what I have a lot of in the fridge. Tonight, because it was what my 12 year old asked for, we used honey mustard.
Also, this evening, I realized I had some peppers I needed to use, so I diced 2 green bell peppers and put them in with the onions and beef. Then, because I wanted to thicken up the chili a little, I decided to halve the V-8 and add most of one of those tiny cans of tomato paste when I combined everything in the crock pot. Still smells like awesome in here, so I’m guessing it’ll turn out well. Here’s the nutritional information for the original recipe, in case you’re on Weight Watchers like me, and you want to keep track of your points.
Recipe yields 8 servings. Per serving has:
• 240 calories (50 from fat)
• 6 g total fat (2 g saturated, 0 g trans)
• 20 mg cholesterol
• 590 mg sodium
• 32 g total carbohydrates (4 g fiber, 18 g sugar)
• 17 g protein
Of you decide to make this, leave me a comment and let me know how you like it!
**Fix It & Forget It Lightly, 2004, page 176**